Inspired by a grant of $15,000 from Andrew Carnegie, citizens constructed this building as a Carnegie Library in 1913, for $40,000. This was the first public building designed by local Architect Llhoyd B. Greer and was formally opened June 1914. The facility became inadequate, and the south GA, regional library was built on Woodrow Wilson Dr. in 1988. Until 1976 the Carnegie Library was a branch library. In April 1977, the Lowdes Co. Historical Society occupied the building, using it as a museum and headquarters.
The Valdosta Town Committee, 1993
Plaque courtesy Lat34North.com.
Original page, with additional info, here.
Photo credit: Byron Hooks of Lat34North.com.