The adjacent York County Coat of Arms and the female figure inside the entrance once adorned the York County Registry Office, formerly located on this site. Commissioned by the County in 1941,...
Johann Albrecht Ulrich Moll, who adopted the name William Berczy, was born in Wallerstein, Germany, in 1744. Leading a group of settlers to York in 1794, Berczy, an artist, architect, writer...
Originally located on Danforth Avenue, the Dominion Coal and Wood Company was founded in 1912 by William H. Smith. In 1929, the company opened a landmark facility on this site. Its nine...
During the War of 1812, an artillery battery stood near this site. In 1813, following American attacks on the Town of York in April and July of that year, the battery was built as part of...
Davidson Black was born and educated in Toronto. He had begun a career in medicine when Sir Grafton Elliot Smith interested him in the problem of fossil man. After World War I, Black accepted...
This building was first constructed in 1833 for owner Daniel Brooke, a prominent merchant in the Town of York. It was substantially rebuilt between 1848-1849 prior to the Great Fire of April...
HistoryScouts camped in this valley, with permission of the owners, in the 1920s and early 1930s. In 1936, approximately 40 ha were purchased by the Toronto District of The Boy Scouts Association...
Central Hospital was founded in 1957 in a house at 331 Sherbourne Street which had been built in 1875 for Robert T. Gooderham. The property was purchased in 1921 by the Canadian National Institute...
Built by John Howard (1803-90), it was named after Sir John Colborne, Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada. Howard, an architect and engineer, emigrated from England 1832 becoming Toronto's first...
Here, on land granted to Jacob Cummer, an early settler who came with his family from Pennsylvania in 1797, stood "Cummer's Chapel". In 1816 a Sunday school was established in his log house and...
Fred Topham was an early resident of East York, now part of the City of Toronto. On March 24, 1945, while serving as a medical orderly with the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion, he defied...
This house of worship was erected in 1898 by German immigrants to the Toronto area. This small congregation, founded in 1851, was determined to have their own church and to use German as...
Born in 1833 a short distance north of this site, Alexander Dunn was educated at Upper Canada College and at Harrow, England. In 1853 he was commissioned Lieutenant in the 11th Hussars....
In 1852 the Consumers' Gas Company of Toronto established its new head office building on this site in the prestigious financial district of the city. Expansion to the north in 1876 added a second...
In 1858 the Anglican Church of St. John the Evangelist opened on Stewart Street to serve both the local population and the garrison stationed at the old and new forts (Fort York and...
Chorley Park was originally the property of Toronto Alderman John Hallam, born in Chorley, Lancashire. In 1911 the garden provided the setting for Ontario's last Government House, which was...
Casa Loma was thought to be pretentious, confused and not a "real" castle. It did not "fit in" with Toronto, and, in addition to the Norman and Scottish style of its towers, there were...
The mural recreates a scene showing members of the Highland Creek community working together to build an addition to the Wesley Methodist Chapel in the early winter of 1867. The chapel once...
Nabes were a phenomenon that peaked in the late 1940s and lasted until the 1970s. They showed small-budget movies and were run by "mom and pop" and larger business ventures. The local nabe became...
The family of Elizabeth (née Fisher) and Jacob Cummer (Kummer) was important to the founding of Willowdale (North York). Among the area's early settlers of German descent, they arrived...