A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible.

Craigleigh Gardens

These gardens are presented to the people of Toronto as a memorial of Edmund Boyd Osler, and Ann Farquharson, his wife, by their children, A.D. 1926. Here, amidst his children and grandchildren,...

These gardens are presented to the people of Toronto as a memorial of Edmund Boyd Osler, and Ann Farquharson, his wife, by their children, A.D. 1926. Here, amidst his children and...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Cloud Gardens Early History

The park site is on land originally subdivided for building lots by Jesse Ketchum (1782-1867) who owned the land from north of King up to Queen between Yonge and Bay. A Methodist and strong...

The park site is on land originally subdivided for building lots by Jesse Ketchum (1782-1867) who owned the land from north of King up to Queen between Yonge and Bay. A Methodist and...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Cpl Frederick G. Topham, Victoria Cross

1st Canadian Parachute Battalion 24 March 1945 For his gallantry in the face of enemy fire on March 24, 1945, Corporal Fred Topham, 27, a medical orderly in the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion,...

1st Canadian Parachute Battalion 24 March 1945 For his gallantry in the face of enemy fire on March 24, 1945, Corporal Fred Topham, 27, a medical orderly in the 1st Canadian Parachute...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Cliffside Golf Course 1931-1950

In 1931 George McCordick converted an old farmhouse into a clubhouse and turned the surrounding countryside into a challenging golf course. The Cliffside Golf Course was located south of Kingston...

In 1931 George McCordick converted an old farmhouse into a clubhouse and turned the surrounding countryside into a challenging golf course. The Cliffside Golf Course was located south of Kingston...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Coach-House of Chester Park

The coach-house of Chester Park is all that remains of the residence of the Thomas Taylor family, built circa 1880. Robert Davies, a brother-in-law, purchased it in 1885. These two prominent local...

The coach-house of Chester Park is all that remains of the residence of the Thomas Taylor family, built circa 1880. Robert Davies, a brother-in-law, purchased it in 1885. These two prominent local...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Colonel James Givins

This school bears the name of, and is located on land formerly owned by, James Givens, who came to Canada after fighting on the British side during the American Revolution. In 1791 he was...

This school bears the name of, and is located on land formerly owned by, James Givens, who came to Canada after fighting on the British side during the American Revolution. In 1791 he...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Carved by Ice and Water

How did Grenadier Pond come to be? The answer dates back to the last ice age. Around 20,000 years ago this location was covered by an ice sheet 1 km thick. Over the millennia it slowly melted,...

How did Grenadier Pond come to be? The answer dates back to the last ice age. Around 20,000 years ago this location was covered by an ice sheet 1 km thick. Over the millennia it slowly melted,...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Crawford Street Bridge

Crawford Street passes through Trinity Bellwoods Park over a graceful triple-span concrete bridge which still exists, but is now buried beneath the street. The bridge once crossed a ravine carved...

Crawford Street passes through Trinity Bellwoods Park over a graceful triple-span concrete bridge which still exists, but is now buried beneath the street. The bridge once crossed a ravine carved...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Cornell House

Built in 1858 on Markham Road in Scarborough Village, this house was inhabited for over 80 years by descendants of Wm. Cornell who came from Rhode Island in 1799. Inherited by Matilda Cornell from...

Built in 1858 on Markham Road in Scarborough Village, this house was inhabited for over 80 years by descendants of Wm. Cornell who came from Rhode Island in 1799. Inherited by Matilda Cornell from...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Charles Sauriol Conservation Reserve

In 1831, on this site at the Forks of the Don, then known as the Boatbildery, Capt. Philippe De Grassi, a veteran of the Napoleonic Wars, drew a grant of 80 ha on which he settled with his family....

In 1831, on this site at the Forks of the Don, then known as the Boatbildery, Capt. Philippe De Grassi, a veteran of the Napoleonic Wars, drew a grant of 80 ha on which he settled with his family....

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Casa Loma Stables

In 1905 Sir Henry Pellatt purchased land which had been the private golf course of Albert Austin of nearby Spadina. The following year, anticipating construction of Casa Loma, he hired E.J. Lennox...

In 1905 Sir Henry Pellatt purchased land which had been the private golf course of Albert Austin of nearby Spadina. The following year, anticipating construction of Casa Loma, he hired E.J. Lennox...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Colonel W.J. Stewart, CBE, CD 1889-1969

A lifelong citizen of Toronto, William James Stewart devoted most of his life to public service. He served as alderman, 1924-30, and as mayor 1931-34. During his tenure as mayor he was...

A lifelong citizen of Toronto, William James Stewart devoted most of his life to public service. He served as alderman, 1924-30, and as mayor 1931-34. During his tenure as mayor he...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Church of Our Lady of Lourdes 1886-1986 Centennial

This church was erected as a gift from the clergy of the Archdiocese to the Most Reverend John Joseph Lynch, D.D., the first Roman Catholic Archbishop of Toronto, on the occasion of the 25th...

This church was erected as a gift from the clergy of the Archdiocese to the Most Reverend John Joseph Lynch, D.D., the first Roman Catholic Archbishop of Toronto, on the occasion of the...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Confederation Life Building 1892

Once one of Toronto's grandest office buildings, this landmark served as the headquarters of the Confederation Life Association until 1955. Plans for the building arose from an international...

Once one of Toronto's grandest office buildings, this landmark served as the headquarters of the Confederation Life Association until 1955. Plans for the building arose from an...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Creed's Storage Vaults Ltd. 1937

Designed by architect H.G. Duerr to store furs, this building was constructed following the widening of Davenport Road in the 1930s. Its horizontal orientation and curved façade are characteristic...

Designed by architect H.G. Duerr to store furs, this building was constructed following the widening of Davenport Road in the 1930s. Its horizontal orientation and curved façade are characteristic...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Church of All Nations

This site was originally part of lands owned in the late 1830s by John Henry Dunn, Receiver-General of Upper Canada. It was purchased in the 1840s by the Methodists to build a small chapel and...

This site was originally part of lands owned in the late 1830s by John Henry Dunn, Receiver- General of Upper Canada. It was purchased in the 1840s by the Methodists to build a small chapel and...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Canadian General Electric Company Building 1908

Originally the head office of the Canadian General Electric Company, this building was designed in the Beaux-Arts Classical style by the noted architecture firm of Darling and Pearson. It was the...

Originally the head office of the Canadian General Electric Company, this building was designed in the Beaux-Arts Classical style by the noted architecture firm of Darling and Pearson. It was the...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Castle Frank Brook

Castle Frank Brook is about 12 kilometres long. It runs from Downsview airport to the tip of Parliament Street. Five tributaries - Fairbank, Cedarvale, Nordheimer, Yorkville and Rosedale Valley...

Castle Frank Brook is about 12 kilometres long. It runs from Downsview airport to the tip of Parliament Street. Five tributaries - Fairbank, Cedarvale, Nordheimer, Yorkville and Rosedale Valley...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Church of Christ 1891

This building was designed by the architecture firm of Knox and Elliot as a Romanesque Revival-style church for a congregation of the Disciples of Christ. Its subsequent uses tell the story of a...

This building was designed by the architecture firm of Knox and Elliot as a Romanesque Revival- style church for a congregation of the Disciples of Christ. Its subsequent uses tell the story of...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Colonel Samuel Smith Park

Colonel Samuel Smith Park recognizes one of Etobicoke's first settlers. In 1793, Smith, of the Queen's Rangers, was granted Crown land by Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe. Smith's tract...

Colonel Samuel Smith Park recognizes one of Etobicoke's first settlers. In 1793, Smith, of the Queen's Rangers, was granted Crown land by Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe. Smith's tract...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown