A landmark in the early development of publicly supported rental-housing in Toronto, Riverdale Courts was constructed for the Toronto Housing Company, a business backed by the City of...
The Royal Insurance Company was founded in Liverpool, England, in 1845, and has served the North American market since 1851. It acquired the British American Assurance Company and the...
The first Simpson Co. warehouse on this city block, this structure originally housed dry-goods, supplies, and a blacksmith shop for the company's local horse-drawn delivery service.Plaque via...
Banished from Upper Canada in 1819 on false charges of sedition brought by the Family Compact. His writings had an impact on events leading to the 1837 rebellion. Robert Gourlay championed reforms...
Toronto was in love with a princess. On the day the heir to the British throne arrived in town, a deliriously happy crowd of half a million people lined the route from the airport to...
Named after the Reverend Egerton Ryerson founder of the province's educational system, the Ryerson Institute of Technology was established in 1948 to provide technological education for...
The 16 ha Rumph farm, overlooking Scarborough Bluffs, was purchased in 1904-1905 by Thomas McDonald West, owner and operator of J. & J. Taylor Limited, Toronto Safe Works. He and his wife Emma...
Robert Simpson (1834-1897) emigrated to Canada from Inverness, Scotland. In 1856, he opened a dry-goods store on Yonge Street north of Queen in 1872, but in 1881 re-located and began to extend his...
Originally a Famous Players theatre for both vaudeville performances and movies, the Runnymede Theatre was designed in the classical style by the architectural firm Chapman and Oxley. The...
This plaque is dedicated to the women who pioneered the wilderness of Ontario in the early 19th century and, in particular, to Rhoda Skinner (1775 1834).In addition to laborious household chores,...
On December 23rd 1989 a fire roared through the Rupert House Hotel, a licensed rooming house on this site. Despite the heroic efforts of firefighters and several tenants, ten people died in the...
This park was created in 1980 to commemorate Robert Franklin "R.F." Hicks, a key figure in the organization and development of the Township of North York. As a dairy farmer, Hicks established one...
The original Roden School consisted of four rooms and was formally opened in April 1908. Five additions were made to the building between 1910 and 1922. At the time of replacement, the old school...
Built on the site of the Queen's Hotel by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1928-29, the Royal York Hotel was part of its coast-to-coast chain of grand hotels. The skyscraper hotel, designed...
Richview Cemetery's oldest surviving monument records the death of Ann Garbutt who was interred in 1846, before the official establishment of this burial site. In 1853, William Knaggs sold...
In 1896, the Grand Trunk Railway opened its Queen East station to serve Toronto's growing east end. Renamed Riverdale Station in 1907, the building stood here on De Grassi Street at Queen...
As the nearby Provincial plaque indicates, a French trader named Jean-Baptiste Rousseaux (known as St. John to the British) provided a valuable link among the great powers that shaped what is now...
Richard Eade, a descendant of early Scarborough settlers, operated a general store in nearby West Hill. He purchased this house in 1891. The farmhouse was designed with elements of the...
Designed by architect Franklin E. Belfrey in Beaux-Arts style, this school was constructed for the Dovercourt community shortly after the area was annexed to the City of Toronto. The school stands...
Constructed in 1906-1907, this theatre is an intimate but lavish version of the traditional 19th century theatre, with two balconies as well as side boxes. John M. Lyle (1872-1945), one...