Scadding was born in Devonshire, England, and came to Upper Canada in 1821. Educated at Upper Canada College and Cambridge University, he was ordained to the Anglican priesthood at St. James...
Ancient trails have long merged where the mouth of the Humber River meets the shore of Lake Ontario. In the 1850s, footpaths and wagon roads were joined by railway tracks. Toronto's first...
In co-operation with the Riverdale Business Men's Association, the Toronto Board of Education persisted in building a school on Gerrard Street, named Riverdale Collegiate Institute. The...
The province's first sailing association, the Toronto Boat Club, was formed in 1852 and two years later became the Royal Canadian Yacht Club. Dedicated to the promotion of yachting and...
The Royal Tour of 1939 was the first visit to Canada by a reigning British monarch. Between May 15 and June 15, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth travelled by train across the country....
Where you are standing was once the commercial centre of the Town of York, Toronto's forerunner. It is part of a 2.2 ha site which was officially dedicated as a market in 1803. The area,...
Robertson Davies was born on August 28, 1913, in the small village of Thamesville, Ontario. He was educated at Upper Canada College, Queen's University, and earned a degree in literature...
To bring law and order to the Canadian West, the North West Mounted Police was formed in 1873. Here, at the 'New Fort', was one of the first recruiting centres for the assembly and training of the...
Near this site stood the home of Sheriff William Botsford Jarvis from 1826 to 1864. The original farmhouse of 1821 was enlarged and redesigned by John Howard in 1835 and stood until 1905....
The young province of Upper Canada (Ontario) required troops to defend it and to build public works essential to its development. The Queen's Rangers was the first regiment raised in...
The first sanatorium in the world devoted exclusively to the treatment of children with tuberculosis, Queen Mary Hospital was opened in 1913. It formed part of a complex with the Toronto Hospital...
Since 1962, the historic Queen Alexandra Gateway has served as a formal entrance to Philosopher's Walk, a meandering ravine which cuts through the northeastern grounds of the University of...
The Parkdale Village Business Improvement Area (PVBIA) encompasses the area along Toronto's celebrated Queen Street West from Dufferin Street to Roncesvalles Avenue. Because of its close proximity...
Officially opened by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) during the Royal Tour of 1860, Queen's Park is an early example of the public park movement in Canada. Landscaped according to...
In 1859 the city leased land here from King's College, and in 1860 a park, named after Queen Victoria, was opened by the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII. Queen's Park was long considered as...
NonePlaque via Alan L. Brown's site Toronto Plaques. Full page here.
Now landlocked on Fleet Street, this lighthouse once stood on the Queen's Wharf. The wharf - originally known as New Pier - was built in 1833 to stimulate commercial activity in the west part of...
The first permanent mental health facility in Upper Canada, the Provincial Lunatic Asylum, forerunner of the present Centre, was officially opened on January 26, 1850. It was housed in what was...
This park was opened September 11th, 1860, by the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII and named in honour of his mother Queen Victoria.Plaque via Alan L. Brown's site Toronto Plaques. Full page here.
This stone and wrought iron structure was a gift to the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire to commemorate the visit, on October 10 and 11, 1901 of their Royal Highnesses, the Duke and Duchess...