Named for Thomas Chittenden, first governor of Vermont and great-great grandfather of Frank Howe. Frank and his father Lucian rebuilt this mill in 1885 changing from grinding with mill stones to the new gradual reduction roller process. Grain was shipped in on the B&L Railroad from the mid-west and the flour sold over a wide area of northern Vermont. The four Tyler turbines were powered by the Brown's River. The miller's house was built in 1859. Until 1929 a Towne Lattice Truss covered bridge spanned the gorge on the site of the present footbridge.
VERMONT DIVISION FOR HISTORIC PRESERVATION-1997