The Texas and Pacific Railway established a station on the main line at Bunkie in 1882. The current depot, built in 1911 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is the only existing reminder of the importance of the railway to the founding of Bunkie. The railway freight office stayed busy shipping local cane, cotton and corn. Passenger service thrived. Bunkie was a refreshing stop on the Jefferson Highway.