The home of several leading Newton County businessmen, this house was constructed in 1912 by turpentine producer L. M. Autrey. In 1918 he sold it to N. A. Dawson, a road contractor. From 1923 to 1979 it was the home of lumberman and civic leader Thomas Williams and his family. Built of long-leaf pine lumber, it was modeled after the Malbis Plantation near Mobile, Alabama, and features characteristics of the classical and Victorian styles. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980
Incised below text
Acquired in 1979 by Attorney D.S. Hillard for use as a Law Office.