Designed by Edmund Burke, Architect, and Thomas Taylor, Construction Engineer, Prince Edward Viaduct was opened on 18 October 1918. The viaduct joined Bloor Street and Danforth Avenue...
Plan of Toronto BayToronto Bay at one time contained a rich diversity of fish and wildlife habitats. Historically these included the shallow nearshore zone along the north shore, the many lagoons...
This entrance to the Canadian National Exhibition grounds was built in 1927 to commemorate 60 years of Canadian Confederation. The stone and concrete gates were designed by the Toronto firm of...
A temperance movement was led by Reverend T.E. Egerton Shore of the Annette Street Methodist Church. Public encounters of drunkenness, fights and one murder were enough for the town of...
Pier 6 is the oldest surviving building on Toronto's present waterfront. Its steep roof and deep eaves, cargo doors, and classical detailing are characteristic of the port's freight sheds around...
This memorial is to honour the memory of Peter Matthews and Samuel Lount, who, without praise or glory died for political freedom and a system of responsible government. Their minds were...
Submitted by @jqmcd.
Oakridge Public School was built on this site in 1913 to replace the former one room school, S.S. No. 12, which had been gutted by fire. Two rooms were added in 1916 and four more rooms in 1922....
A large field greeted Toronto Board of Education officials who needed to build a school in 1908. Oakwood Collegiate finally opened in 1912. Students moved from the school's temporary location of...
The Ontario Human Rights Code came into effect on June 15, 1962 and established equal rights and freedom from discrimination as primary elements of provincial law. The first legislation of its...
Submitted by @jqmcd.
Submitted by @jqmcd.
George Scott, one of Scarborough's early settlers, was born in Dumfriesshire Scotland in 1795. In 1829 he purchased an 80 ha lot which extended from the present Ellesmere Road to Sheppard...
This house was designed by Owen Staples, with artist and friend C.W. Jefferys, as a studio and home for Staples and his family. Born in England in 1866 and arriving in Toronto as a child, Staples...
For nearly 70 years, Old City Hall was home to City Council. Toronto's second purpose-built city hall, it was designed by architect E.J. Lennox in the Richardsonian Romanesque style and...
Built between 1889 and 1899, this impressive Richardsonian Romanesque structure by local architect E.J. Lennox was the solution to the need of both the city of Toronto and York County for new...
The First Jewish congregation in Canada West, (now Ontario), was established on this site in 1856 (Jewish calendar 5615). Services were held in a rented hall on the upper floor over Coombe's...
The ruins standing here today are all that remain of a seven story flour mill built in 1848 to replace an earlier mill, both built by William Tyrrell of Weston for William Gamble,...
The Ontario Library Association was founded at a meeting, October 19th, 1900, held in the Toronto Public Library at the northeast corner of Church and Adelaide Streets. This library was the...
In 1861, the Board of Agriculture of Upper Canada enlisted Andrew Smith, a Scottish veterinary surgeon, to establish Canada's first veterinary school - in Toronto. After opening a private clinic...