The oldest building in Scarborough. Built in 1795 by Augustus Jones who was commissioned by John Graves Simcoe - first Lieutenant - Governor of Upper Canada - to survey Scarborough....
The farmhouse that once stood near this site was built by a Black man, William Lafferty and his sons between 1851 and 1856. He came to Upper Canada from the United States in the 1830's. William...
Eugene O'Keefe (1827-1913), was born in County Cork, Ireland, and immigrated to Canada with his father in 1832. In 1861 he acquired the Victoria Brewery at the corner of Gould and...
Toronto's early industrial heritage thrived in West Toronto Junction when the Stockyards relocated from downtown Toronto to the southwest corner of St. Clair and Keele in 1903. Until 1945, the...
Established as a toll road under the Turnpike Act of 1833, this road, now Dundas Street, was the primary route for commerce and stage coach travel between Toronto and South Western Ontario....
In 1829-32 the Law Society of Upper Canada erected the east wing of this imposing building. Named after William Osgoode, the province's first chief justice, the Regency structure housed law...
Named after the province's first chief justice, Osgoode Hall was begun as the headquarters of the Law Society of Upper Canada in 1829. The east wing was built by 1832, with the centre and west...
The foremost historical organization in the province, the Ontario Historical Society, originally called the Pioneer Association of Ontario, was established on September 4, 1888 largely through the...
After the Union Stockyards relocated from downtown to the southwest corner of St. Clair and Keele, it quickly became one of North America's largest and busiest stockyards and the hub for many...
In 1799 Asa Danforth, an American contractor, cut the first road through the forests of Scarborough, part of an 11 m pioneer provincial highway running from the east end of King Street in the town...
The Town of York's first burying ground lies within this park. Established by the British army, the cemetery occupies a 38 by 91 metre rectangle running at a diagonal across the centre of...
This house, built in 1848, was designed by the notable architect William Thomas who lived and worked here until his death in 1860. Its Early Gothic Revival detailing includes heads, crests and...
Physician, philanthropist, mason, fraternalist and collector, Oronhyatekha, (baptised Peter Martin) was born at the Grand River Reserve near Brantford. In 1860 he presented the Mohawk address to...
Through the efforts of Dr. Michael Barrett, the first Dean, this college was founded at a time when other Toronto medical schools did not admit women students. In 1883 the college began with three...
On this site, 3 February 1887, the Ontario College of Pharmacy opened its first permanent building, which was also the first school of pharmacy erected in Canada, parts of which still stand....
The Parkdale Village Business Improvement Area (PVBIA) encompasses the area along Toronto's celebrated Queen Street West from Dufferin Street to Roncesvalles Avenue. Because of its close proximity...
Centred at Yonge Street and Drewry Avenue, Newtonbrook forms North York's most northern Yonge Street community. By 1870 Newtonbrook was considered a thriving village with more than 200 settlers...
On this site, at 320 Kingston Road, stood the Norway Post Office. The building and a companion cottage at 322 Kingston Road were built about 1825 of board and batten construction. The...
One of Canada's greatest oarsmen, Edward Hanlan was born in Toronto. As a child he took up rowing when his family settled in this vicinity, now named Hanlan's Point. Although standing only 175 cm...
On the evening of September 16, 1949, the "Noronic", a Great Lakes cruise ship carrying 524 passengers, docked at Pier 9, 100 metres east of here. At 1:30 the next morning a passenger...