Pier 1 1/2 and Pier 3 were built in 1917-1919 for use by riverboats
to connect San Francisco to Sacramento and the San Joaquin River.
Pier 1 1/2 was built as a passenger terminal while Pier 3 was used
for freight. The central pavilion at Pier 3 is the dominant feature
while the secondary openings provide additional access to the
breezeway that separates the bulkhead buildings from the shed
buildings and water. Decorative iron gates, salvaged during the
2005 renovation of Piers 1 1/2, 3, and 5, provided security after
regular business hours. This gateway was originally located within this
passageway, below the segmented arch.