A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Old Rodney Presbyterian Church

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the church was begun when the 1828 Mississippi Legislature granted a charter of Incorporation to the "Presbyterian Church of Petit Gulf". Later in ...

  • mississippi

Old Rodney Presbyterian Church (2)

During the Civil War, on September 13, 1863, a skirmish ocurred at the church. On that Sunday morning the Union gunboat "Rattler" had docked at Rodney. Rev. Baker, a northern sympathizer who was to ...

  • mississippi
  • church

Belles Lettres Building

Ca. 1851. Neoclassic Revival. The origin of this structure is uncertain. It is generally assumed to be one of two buildings completed in 1851 for use by a campus literary society. Its architecture ...

  • mississippi

History of Rodney - Her Fall

The yellow tever epldemics of 1843 and 1898 were fatal to many residents of Rodney. Even though the Union gunboat "Rattler" fired upon the town, Rodney and her churches were spared destruction during ...

  • mississippi

History of Rodney - Her Rise

The French were the first Europeans to claim this area, clled "Petit Gouffre", "Petit Golphe", "Petit Gulf", or "Little Gulf". In 1763, as a result of the French and Indian War, the area became the ...

  • mississippi

Old Town of Rodney - Layout

The earliest references to the Rodney area are from the 1774 New England expedition led by General Phineas Lyman to organize a settlement on Big Black River. Captain Matthew Phelps, a member of this ...

  • mississippi

Alcorn Agricultural And Mechanical College

Established May 13, 1871, as Alcorn Univ. of Miss on site of Oakland College. Hiram Revels, first president. Reorganized 1878 and Alcorn A.&M. Oldest land-grant college for Negroes in the United ...

  • mississippi

Old Port Gibson to Rodney Road

This road is the first established route from Port Gibson and Alcorn to Rodney, and was constructed in the early nineteenth century. Composed of loess soil, the old roadbed and roadside bluffs for ...

  • mississippi

Town of Addis / "Baton Rouge Junction"

Addis was founded in 1881 as "Baton Rouge Junction" an important roundhouse on the Texas and Pacific Railroad. From this roundhouse passengers and freight were ferried across the river to ...

  • louisiana

Bayou Heron Graveyard

 Washington Griffin's Cemetery. est. c. 1850, was the first Chackbay cemetery. Acquired by Bayou Heron Graveyard Association in 1883, it became the Grand Bayou, Trosclair, or Rodrigue Cemetery.

  • louisiana
  • cemetery

Derbigny Plantation

Home of Pierre A.C.B. Derbigny, 6th Governor of La., 1828~1829, member 1st La. Legislature, La. Secretary of State, La. Supreme Court Judge, Battle of N.O. veteran. 1820 operated 1st steam ferry on ...

  • louisiana
  • new orleans
  • plantation

Attakapa Militia

The Militia of the Attakapa Region of South Central Louisiana served under Spain’s Governor of the colony, Bernardo de Galvez in his campaigns against the British during the War for ...

  • louisiana
  • revolutionary w...

Dr. Walter Brashear B. MD. 1776 - D. LA. 1860

Dr. Walter BrashearB. MD. 1776 - D. LA. 1860Famed as surgeon in KY. 1806. Settled Attakapas, LA. 1809. Became large landowner, sugar planter in St. Mary, serving many years in LA. Legislature. ...

  • louisiana

Twin City Gospel Temple

Originally the Methodist Episcopal Church. Built in 1886 by sugar cane plantation owenr Capt. John N. Pharr and wife Henrietta. They donated the church building and land to the Methodists in 1899.

  • louisiana
  • church

First American Casualty of W.W. II

Freddie John FalgoutSeaman First Class U.S. NavyBorn August 21, 1916 in Raceland, LA.Killed in the line of Duty by gunfire on the USS Augusta in Shanghai, China in Chinese - Japanese War August 20, ...

  • louisiana world...

St. Mary's Cemetery

This cemetery was established circa 1797. Its presence preceded the church parish. Many of the early graves were ground burials, which were marked with wrought iron crosses. The St. Mary Pamela ...

  • louisiana
  • cemetery

St. Mary's Nativity Church

The Congregation of the Roman Catholic church of St. Mary Pamela was organized in 1840 to administer a cemetery established here about 1820. Father Charles Menard dedicated the first church under the ...

  • louisiana
  • church

Curole House

In 1893, Nicholas Curole built this house at Cheniere Caminada. On Oct. 1, 1893, a hurricane destroyed that community and heavily damaged this house. In 1894 the house was relocated and reconstructed ...

  • louisiana
  • plantation

Cote Blanche

After the hurricane of Cheniere Caminada in 1893, a group of refugees settled in this area. Because many of them painted their homes white, the settlement became known as "La Cote Blanche," a village ...

  • louisiana
  • plantation

Feliciana Courthouse (1816-1824)

 Jackson became the seat of justice for Feliciana Parish by Act of Legislature, Jan., 1815. Public town square donated by James Ficklin and John Horton. In active use until parish divided into East ...

  • louisiana

Burial Site of Lt. Col. John C. McKowen

 Lt. Col. McKowen, 1st. La. Cavalry, C.S.A., who on June 3, 1863, with 5 men captured Brig. Gen. Neal Dow near here. Dow was later exchanged for Brig. Gen. W.H.F. Lee, son of Gen. Robert E. Lee. A ...

  • louisiana
  • cemetery

Methodist Church

Methodist ChurchJackson, LA ca 1854Host to Mississippi Conference in 1854. The Gothic building with a Revival basilica, slave gallery, windows depicting cross and crown of thorns, has served its ...

  • louisiana
  • church

Magnolia Cemetery Founded in 1883

Magnolia Cemetery was originally founded as a resting place for members of the Protestant faith. The land chosen was along Bayou Terrebonne. The original board of directors consisted of Peter Berger, ...

  • louisiana
  • cemetery

Hebron Baptist Church

Oldest in Livingston Parish. Organized in April 1837. First church was log cabin about 3 miles south of here. Frame church built at this site in 1859 on 4 acres of land. 1918 and 1955 larger churches ...

  • louisiana
  • church

Peter Hammond (1798-1870)

Under this oak is buried Peter Hammond, of Sweden, who founded Hammond, La., about 1818. Nearby are the graves of his wife, three daughters, and a favorite slave boy

  • louisiana