Read The Plaque https://readtheplaque.com Always read the plaque en-us Mother A.M.E. Zion Church https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/mother-a-m-e-zion-church https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/mother-a-m-e-zion-church 2018-05-21 05:38:25.781340 Mother A.M.E. Zion Church Mother A.M.E. Zion Church

MOTHER A.M.E. ZION CHURCH 
MOTHER AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL ZION 
CHURCH OCCUPIED THIS SITE FROM 1800 TO
1864. IT WAS THE FIRST CHURCH IN NEW YORK 
CITY BUILT AND LED BY AFRO-AMERICANS AND 
WAS THE MOTHER CHURCH OF THE A.M.E. ZION 
DENOMINATION FORMED IN 1796.

THIS TABLET INSTALLED JANUARY 1969 BY 
NEGRO HISTORY ASSOCIATED INC AND MOTHER
AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL ZION CHURCH 


Submitted by @prisonculture

]]>
Heinrich Mann & Sigmund Freud https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/heinrich-mann-sigmund-freud https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/heinrich-mann-sigmund-freud 2018-05-21 05:34:22.944780 Heinrich Mann & Sigmund Freud Heinrich Mann & Sigmund Freud

ZUM GEDÄCHTNIS AN DEN DICHTER
HEINRICH MANN,
DER AM 22. FEBRUAR 1933 ÜBER DEN BAHNHOF KEHL

DEN WEG INS RETTENDE EXIL GING

KEIN UNTERTAN DES UNGEISTS UND DER GEWALT,
SO BLIEB ER SICH UND SEINEM WERK TREU!

ZUR ERINNERUNG
AN DIE VERTREIBUNG DES BEGRÜNDERS DER PSYCHOANALYSE.
PROF. SIGMUND FREUD,

DER AM 5. JUNI 1938 UBER DEN BAHNHOF KEHL
DEUTSCHLAND VERLIESS, UM IN FREIHEIT ZU STERBEN
 
Submitted by @vanilla_chief

]]>
Dr. Martha G. RIpley https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/dr-martha-g-ripley https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/dr-martha-g-ripley 2018-05-21 05:29:27.172190 Dr. Martha G. RIpley Dr. Martha G. RIpley


"SHE STRETCHETH OUT HER HANDS TO THE POOR"

1843 DR. MARTHA G.RIPLEY 1912
PIONEER WOMAN PHYSICIAN
FOUNDER OF MATERNITY HOSPITAL
IN MINNEAPOLIS
WITH FARSIGHTED VISION AND SYMPATHY
SHE SERVED HUMANITY
FEARLESS IN SPIRIT COURAGEOUS IN ACTION
CHAMPION OF RIGHTEOUSNESS AND JUSTICE
HER LIFE A NOBLE INFLUENCE
AN ENDURING INSPIRATION

"YEA SHE REACHETH OUT HER HANDS TO THE NEEDY"
 

Submitted by @gkatz

]]>
Dealey Plaza https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/dealey-plaza https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/dealey-plaza 2018-05-21 05:18:46.283030 Dealey Plaza Dealey Plaza

Site of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy on November 22, 1963

]]>
Site of Elizabeth Blackwell's Infirmary for Women and Children https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/site-of-elizabeth-blackwell-s-infirmary-for-women-and-children https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/site-of-elizabeth-blackwell-s-infirmary-for-women-and-children 2018-05-18 19:42:16.155460 Site of Elizabeth Blackwell's Infirmary for Women and Children Site of Elizabeth Blackwell's Infirmary for Women and Children

Site of Elizabeth Blackwell's
Infirmary for Women and Children

In this building, the first female doctor in America,
Elizabeth Blackwell, established the first hospital for,
staffed, and run by women. The New York Infirmary
for Women and Children opened on May 12,1857,a
date which was also the birthday of Blackwell's friend
and collaborator Florence Nightingale. Groundbreaking
at the time, the hospital provided free medical care for
indigent women and children, and offered clinical
experience and instruction for women determined to
expand their skills as physicians.

Location: 58 Bleecker Street at Crosby Street (Note: plaque is located on the Crosby Street side of the building)


Submitted by The Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation

]]>
Sunken Cable https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/sunken-cable https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/sunken-cable 2018-05-18 18:29:24.883840 Sunken Cable Sunken Cable

ATLANTIC CABLE STATION
and
SUNKEN FOREST

The receiving station for the first
Atlantic cable, laid in 1874, is
located on Old Beach Road opposite
this location. The remains of the
Sunken Forest (remnants of the Ice
Age) may be seen at low tide. Inter-
mingled with these gnarled stumps
is the original Atlantic cable.
 

]]>
Dunsmuir https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/dunsmuir https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/dunsmuir 2018-05-18 18:28:59.785510 Dunsmuir Dunsmuir

DUNSMUIR CITY HALL
AND FIRE HOUSE
ERECTED 1925
TRUSTEES
E J CORNISH. M.D PRE
FL FOSTER
L E GIBSON
S J WILKINS
A B. CRAVENS
EG HAWKINS CLERK
H YOUNG MARSHAL, TAX COLL
J MICANDER RECORDER
H McCUINNESS ATTORNEY
J F McDILL, FIRE CHIEF
C O PORTER, TREASURER 
WOOLLETT & LAMB, ARCHITECTS 
J P BRENNAN, CONTRACTOR

]]>
Yolo Library https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/yolo-library https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/yolo-library 2018-05-18 18:26:48.654460 Yolo Library Yolo Library

SITE OF THE FIRST YOLO COUNTY
PUBLIC LIBRARY BRANCH

CONTRIBUTIONS BY CITIZENS FINANCED THE LOT
PURCHASE AND BUILDING CONSTRUCTION FOR THE DAVIS
LIBRARY, WHICH SERVED DAVIS AT THIS LOCATION
FROM 1911 UNTIL 196 IN 1983, THE BUILDING WAS
MOVED TO CENTRAL PARK.

TEXT BY THE DAVIS LIBRARY CLUB
 

]]>
Fort Lernoult https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/fort-lernoult https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/fort-lernoult 2018-05-18 18:26:10.056830 Fort Lernoult Fort Lernoult

This marks the site of the southwest bastion of Fort Lernoult. It was here, on July 11, 1796, that the American flag was first flown over Detroit. The fort was built by the British in 1778-79 to protect Detroit against the possibility of attack by George Rogers Clark and the American army. Overlooking the stockaded village and named for its commander, Richard B. Lernoult, the fort controlled river traffic and land routes. The fort was not attacked during the American Revolution. However, it was then the foremost British military post in the West, a base for Indian raids against American frontier settlements, and a guardian of the rich fur trade. Although the peace treaty of 1783 gave Michigan to the United States, the British did not evacuate the fort until 1796. In 1812 Fort Lernoult was surrendered to the British, but was regained by the Americans in 1813 and renamed Fort Shelby. The last troops were removed in 1826. The fort was leveled in the next two or three years.

Plaque via Michigan History Center

]]>
Provincial Building https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/provincial-building https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/provincial-building 2018-05-18 18:26:02.252010 Provincial Building Provincial Building

PROVINCIAL
BUILDING

Built around 1920 for Mr and Mrs. Carl
A. Romer The building represests the
Italianate style common to the
commercial buildings in the early
twentieth century. The Romers operated a
general merchandise store and post office.
 
SAN JUAN
CAFISTRANO
 

]]>