A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Eldridge House Hotel

National Register of Historic Places The Eldridge House Hotel 7th and Massachusetts Street Built c. 1925 The Lawrence Preservation Alliance Submitted by: @shinton

  • eldridge
  • hotel
  • nrhp
  • lawrence
  • kansas

825-827 Massachusetts Street

825–827 Massachusetts Street   Site of various Lawrence bakeries 1860s–1931 J.A. Keeler Stationery and Book Shop 1886–1909 Montgomery Ward Department Store 1931–1968 Wards combined 825 and 827 ...

  • massachusetts
  • street
  • lawrence
  • kansas

Watkins Land Mortgage Company and National Bank

Watkins Land Mortgage Company and National Bank Richardsonian Romanesque style building, designed by Cobb and Frost, architects, erected in 1888 for Lawrence financier, Jabez B. Watkins.   Housed ...

  • watkins
  • bank
  • lawrence
  • kansas
  • city hall
  • nrhp
  • romanesque

Miller's Hall

Miller’s Hall   Built for Josiah Miller, Free State Party activist and Lawrence’s first State Senator.   Construction begun late 1850’s; partially destroyed during Quantrill’s raid; reconstruction ...

  • miller
  • hall
  • free state
  • lawrence
  • kansas
  • quantrill

Eldridge Hotel Cornerstone

1855 1857 HOTEL ELDRIDGE 1863 1925   Submitted by: @shinton

  • hotel
  • eldridge
  • cornerstone

Free State Hotel

This marks the site of the Free State Hotel erected in 1855 by the New England Emigrant Aid Society. Destroyed by Sheriff Jones and his posse May 21, 1856 and rebuilt by Col. Schaler W. Eldridge. ...

  • free state
  • hotel
  • new england emi...
  • quantrill
  • rotary club
  • eldridge

Lawrence Studio

Lawrence Studio   Constructed Late 1860’s Alexander Marks, jeweler, was an early occupant This building, now reflective of Mission Style, housed dry goods, drugs, and jewelry businesses and several ...

  • lawrence
  • kansas
  • studio
  • photography
  • marks

Round Corner Drug

Round Corner Drug   Building constructed in 1866 to house a drug store founded by B. W. Woodward in 1855.   Oldest drug store in Lawrence and Kansas in continuous operation.   Submitted by: @shinton

  • round
  • corner
  • drug
  • lawrence
  • kansas
  • woodward

Marks Jewelers

Marks Jewelers   This building has housed a variety of commercial enterprises since the mid 1860’s including a grocery, clothier, and tobacco shops.   Sol Marks began operating a jewelry shop on this ...

  • marks
  • jewelers
  • lawrence
  • kansas

Douglas County Courthouse

Douglas County Courthouse   Designed by John G. Haskill and Fredrick Gunn in the Richardsonian Romanesque style.   Constructed by the firm of Cuthbert and Sargent of Topeka, KS 1903–1904. Listed on ...

  • douglas county
  • courthouse
  • lawrence
  • kansas
  • romanesque
  • nrhp

Wiedemann Building

Wiedemann Building   Wiedemann’s, a popular candy and ice cream store, operated on this site from 1886–ca. 1943.   Prominent social center, tea room and dance hall.   The Jay Shoppe Ladies ...

  • wiedemann
  • building
  • lawrence
  • kansas
  • tea
  • dance
  • ice cream

Roosevelt Fountain

1910 Presented by The National Humane Alliance Hermon Lee Ensign, Founder   More info: http://www 2.ljworld.com/news/1998/aug/03/fountain_renovation _ideas_flow/   Submitted by: @shinton

  • roosevelt
  • fountain
  • lawrence
  • kansas
  • horse

South Park Gazebo

Erected by Buch’s Band May 1906   Submitted by: @shinton

  • gazebo
  • band
  • park
  • lawrence
  • kansas

Matthew Moore Terrace

Matthew Moore Terrace In memory of Matthew Moore from the Bob Moore Family He loved to read Submitted by: @shinton

  • matthew
  • moore
  • terrace
  • dedication
  • memorial
  • lawrence
  • kansas
  • library

Morris Sports Building

Morris Sports Building 1987 Bo Newsom Construction Company   Submitted by: @shinton

  • morris
  • sports
  • building
  • lawrence
  • kansas

The First Lawrence U.S. Post Office

The First Lawrence U.S. Post Office 645 New Hampshire Street has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior c. 1906

  • lawrence
  • kansas
  • post office
  • nrhp
  • usdoi

John Brown and the Siege of Lawrence

John Brown and the Siege of Lawrence, September 14–15, 1856 On the afternoon of September 14th, 1856, the Free State settlement of Lawrence, Kansas Territory was threatened with invasion by an army ...

  • john brown
  • lawrence
  • kansas
  • siege
  • free state
  • abolitionism
  • civil war

First House

Site of first house in Lawrence   60 Feet East Submitted by: @shinton

  • lawrence
  • kansas
  • house

Shane-Thompson Studio

Shane-Thompson Studio Erected ca. 1885 as a photography studio and home for Captain J. B. Shane J. B. Shane and his daughter, Juno Bell Shane-Thompson, documented the lives of Lawrence citizens from ...

  • shane
  • thompson
  • studio
  • photography
  • lawrence
  • kansas

Downtown Redevelopment Project

Downtown Redevelopment Project 1972 1973 City Commission - Nancy Hambleton, Jack Rose, Barkley Clark, Fred J. Pence, John H. Emick, J. R. Pulliam, Charles F. Fisher Buford M. Watson, Jr., City ...

  • downtown
  • lawrence
  • kansas
  • redevelopment

The Lavender Pit

THIS OPEN PIT MINE IS NAMED  THE LAVENDER PIT IN HONOR OF  HARRISON M. LAVENDER 1890 - 1952  WHO AS VICE PRESIDENT AND GENERAL MANAGER OF PHELPS DODGE CORPORATION CONCEIVED AND CARRIED OUT THIS ...

  • mining
  • copper
  • arizona

Stockbridge Town Hall

Stockbridge Town Hall   Designed by Elijah E. Myers, the Stockbridge Town Hall was constructed by Mitter & Headerlong in 1892.   This stately Romanesque structure was built to house local township ...

    White Oak Township Hall

    Ingham County Historical Marker   White Oak Township Hall Property was purchased for $50 in 1875 from Danial and Mary Hamilton.  Completed in 1877, it contains the original rough wooden floor, voting ...

      New River Gorge Bridge

      New River Gorge Bridge Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places August 14, 2013 By the United States Department of the Interior   Submitted by Bryan Arnold @nanowhiskers

        White Oak

        White Oak The settlements of White Oak, Ingham, Wheatfield and Leroy were organized as Ingham Township by the Legislature on March 11, 1837.  On April 2, 1837, the first township meeting was held at ...

          Millville United Methodist Church

          Ingham County Historical Marker   Millville United Methodist Church The ministry of the Millville Methodist Church began in 1840.  Class meetings were formed and met in the old log school house and ...

            À tous les français

            À tous les français La France a perdu une bataille mais n'a pas perdu la guerre.  Des gouvernants de rencontre ont pu capituler, cédant à la panique, oubliant l'honneur livrant le pays à la ...

            • charles de gaul...