This marks the site of the Free State Hotel erected in 1855 by the New England Emigrant Aid Society. Destroyed by Sheriff Jones and his posse May 21, 1856 and rebuilt by Col. Schaler W. Eldridge. Quantrill and his raiders destroyed Lawrence August 21, 1863, burned the Eldridge Hotel and massacred the citizens. Col. Eldridge restored the hotel which stood until 1926 when it was rebuilt by W. G. Hutson.
Erected April 4, 1940 by the Lawrence Rotary Club
Submitted by: @shinton