Henry Merrell built the Royston Factory Mill, Arkansas first textile factory, 3 miles north of Murfreesboro in 1856. The complex also held saw, grist and flour mills. After the Civil War began, the factory made cloth for the Confederacy and Maj. R.C. Wood and his Missouri cavalry were stationed there to guard it from Union patrols. In late 1863, the factory mill was ordered dismantled and moved to Grand Prairie, Texas. Several major parts were lost or damaged during the move, so Merrell was sent to England for spare parts. The war ended before his return.