1636 - Newington valley used by Wethersfield settlers as a source for pipe staves, building materials and pasture lands. Pipestave Swamp, Cow Plain and West Farms were early names for the area.
1671 - Land first divided among 76 Wethersfield householders. (The Mile-in-Breadth)
1677 - Permanent settlement in Newington began with the establishment of a sawmill at Mill Pond Falls.
1721 - Town legally named Newington (New Meadow Town) by the General Assembly of Connecticut.
1754 - Permanent boundaries of Newington established.
1871 - Newington incorporated on July 10, 1871.
1966 - Town Manager-Council form of government introduced.
1971 - Newington Centennial Anniversary observed.
The Connecticut Historical Commission
The Newington Centennial Commission