A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible.

McCarthy Building

This pioneer Western Falsefront store was built in 1890 by Daniel McCarthy, son of Village founders Hannah and Martin McCarty.  It was locally known as the Green Store Building because for many years it was painted green.


This style of building is typical of those that would have lined Lumber Street (now Big Basin Way) in the 1870s and 1880s.  It was called Lumber Street because it was the road used to bring redwood logs from the mountains in horse-drawn wagons.


This is the last remaining early business building associated with the McCarty family, Saratoga pioneers from 1852 and for whom the village was once named McCartysville.  The family added an "h" to their name after several years in the community and after the Village was named.

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps