this thoroughfare, also known as the Saskatchewan or Carlton trail, extended 1440 kilometres between Fort Garry and Fort Edmonton and was the principal overland route in the Canadian northwest for much of the 19th century. The trail was used by early explorers and surveyors as well as by Métis fur trade brigades with their Red River Carts. It was followed by one troop of the North-West Mounted Police expedition in 1874 and was teh first mail route in the North-West Territories. The trail was largely superseded after 1890 by the railway but part of it continued in use for many years.
Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Submitted by: @Saskajanet