Before 1881 Methodists in Port Neches, then known as Grigsby's Bluff, were served by occasional circuit Riders who preached in private homes. On Sept. 6, 1881, the Rev. W. H. Crawford conducted a meeting to organize the first local Methodist church which began with a membership of sixteen.
Worship services continued to be held in members' homes until 1885. In that year a house, damaged in the process of being moved, was repaired and given to the church for its use. There the community held school classes as well as worship services by the light of coal oil lamps. A new building was erected in 1894 which served as both church and school until 1911 when a separate schoolhouse was built. A growing membership soon created the need for a larger building. Money was raised, and a new church was built in 1919 on the corner of Main and Nall streets where the congregation worshiped for thirty years.
In 1920 the Rev. W. E. Hassler became the first full-time minister.The sanctuary on this site was erected in 1950. A new wing and an education building were During his pastorate, the church grew rapidly and a Vacation Bible School was started. The sanctuary on this site was erected in 1950. A new wing and an education building were