CAMP - 1674
Father Jacques Marquette, the
French Jesuit missionary who
with Sieur Louis Jolliet dis-
covered and first explored the
upper Mississippi in 1673, stayed
on this site November 23-27, 1674.
Marquette, with two French Can-
adians, Pierre Porteret and Jacques
Largillier, was returning south to
open a mission requested by the
Illinois Indians. They were the first
known white men to visit this site.