A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible.

Close Family Property

Historical Point of Interest
Close Family Property
This property, the site of the first building constructed in 1858, was owned by pioneer Daniel Inman (1827-1908) for whom Danville was named.
The property was purchased by James E. Close (1848-1904), who operated a blacksmith shop, in 1875. In 1907 it was opened as Close's General Store by Clarence W. Close (1879-1933). The first library was established here in 1913 by Lilian (Ramage) Close (1858-1935). The building also housed the first telephone exchange, the Odd Fellows Lodge, and was the temporary location of the Alamo Masonic Lodge and San Ramon Valley High School.
Site Dedicated and Plaque Placed by 
San Ramon Valley Historical Society
October 22, 1977

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps