The Carter site consists of two earthen mounds separated by a plaza area. Mound A was built in at least two stages and is 13 feet tall. Mound Bis a burial mound and stands at just under seven feet tall. Both mounds are roughly six feet taller than they appear, due to sediment accumulation at their bases. Archaeological excavations indicate that the mounds were built around AD 1000 on the site of a Late Woodland village. Both mounds appear to have been abandoned by AD 1100.