Established in 1849 Carrollton Cemetery was part of the growing suburb of Carrollton, incorporated in 1845. The suburb of Carrollton was annexed to the city in 1874 and the management of the cemetery was handed to the city government. There are some notable burials, such as Frederick Fischer and the Kirchoff and Lochte families. Throughout the cemetery are tombs of pioneering families, including the Heatons, Herries, Thielers, Gogreves, Deibels, and O'Dwyers. One square of the cemetery was reserved for indigent burials.