Constructed with the joint support of an Andrew Carnegie grant and the Cadillac Literary Society, this Classical Revival style building was completed at a cost of thirty thousand dollars in 1906. Built on land donated by Jacob and Wellington Cummer, it served as a public library until 1969. The structure housed the Cadillac Police Department for eight years before becoming the Wexford County Historical Society Museum in 1977. In 1978 the historical society began restoring the library to its original appearance.
Plaque via Michigan History Center