This distinctive hall, home of the Heliconian Club since 1923, was built as a Carpenter Gothic Revival Style church in 1876. Established in 1909, the club brought together professional women...
In honour of the men and the women who entered Canada's naval service through HMCS York and fought the Battle of the Atlantic 1939-1945The Automotive Building was the site of Toronto's naval...
The prominence of the Blake family attracted residents to this neighbourhood after William Hume Blake built the Humewood Estate in the 1860s. He emigrated from Ireland in 1832, and...
This site was previously graced by a spacious Victorian mansion with gabled roofs and porticos. Originally built for the prominent Toronto surgeon Dr. J.F.W. Ross, it was acquired in 1913...
Horner Avenue is named for one of Alderwood's pioneer families. The Horner homestead was built by Archibald Cameron in 1850, using red and white bricks made right on the property. The house...
In the early 1800s, the City of Toronto did not extend north of present-day Queen Street. Like many of the City's elite families of the time, Chief Justice William Draper (1801-1877) maintained a...
On March 17, 1960, five Italian immigrant workers, Pasquale Allegrezza, Giovanni Battista Carriglio, Giovanni Fusillo, Alessandro and Guido Mantella, died in a tragic accident during construction...
As a composer, organist, choir master and teacher, Healey Willan waged constant war on mediocre church music. In the process he elevated the position of the church organist and set the standard...
On October 15, 1954, Hurricane Hazel hit southern Ontario with 110 km/h winds and over 200 mm of rain. Many rivers, including the Humber, Don and Rouge overflowed flooding communities in much...
The first school in this area was a small square plank building erected in 1832 on "Fishery Road" now Colonel Danforth Trail. In 1847 the area became S.S.7, and a single frame school was built at...
In 1852, Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel gained popularity throughout the continent. Uncle Tom's Cabin fuelled public debate about slavery as the American Civil War approached. It is said to...
A Father of Confederation, William McDougall was born on a farm in this vicinity. He became a solicitor and in 1850 founded the North American, a newspaper which became the voice of the...
Originally named Toronto Junction High School, Humberside Collegiate held its first classes in 1892. Two years later it moved from temporary quarters on Pacific Avenue to a new building on this...
Historic Postal Station 'G' This fine Neo- Classical building constructed of sandstone, a landmark in South Riverdale since its opening in 1913 as Postal Station 'G'. It was designed by E.J....
This plaque honours the achievements of Gladys Allison who was the major force in establishing North York's first municipally sponsored library service. Gladys Allison served on the North...
George Horace Gooderham (1868-1942) built this house in 1891 and lived here with his family until 1906. The design in the Romanesque Revival style is attributed to the firm of David Roberts....
Opened in 1957, Guildwood Village was the dream of Rosa and Spencer Clark, founders of the Guild of All Arts in 1932 and later, of the Guild Inn. The Clarks planned the transformation of 202 ha...
The Gladstone Hotel is the oldest continuously operating hotel in Toronto. Architect G.M. Miller designed the building in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. It features arches over the windows...
George Weston was born in Oswego, New York in 1864. His family moved to Toronto and at age 12 George was apprenticed to a local baker. In 1882, Weston bought a bread delivery route from...
Built circa 1950, this Colonial Revival house was the centrepiece of a 120 ha equestrian estate owned by John Angus "Bud" McDougald. As Chairman of the Board and President of Argus...