On October 15, 1954, Hurricane Hazel struck the Scarborough area with terrifying force, severely damaging or completely washing out several bridges. To maintain a safe flow of traffic throughout...
This building was designed by architect James Walker as a three-storey factory for Benjamin Harvey. Architect William F. Sparling designed two more storeys, which were added in 1922 by the Toronto...
Designed in 17th-century English Collegiate style, Beaches Branch by Kew Gardens replaced a storefront library opened in 1914 at the corner of Queen Street East and Hambly Avenue. The new building...
Chartered in 1821, the Bank of Upper Canada was, until its demise in 1866, one of British North America's leading banks. It played a significant role in the development of Upper Canada - supplying...
Opening in 1910, a branch of the Bank of Montreal operated on this site for 90 years. The bank marked one corner of a major Toronto intersection, Yonge and Queen, where Simpson's and...
The Parkdale Village Business Improvement Area (PVBIA) encompasses the area along Toronto's celebrated Queen Street West from Dufferin Street to Roncesvalles Avenue. Because of its close proximity...
On October 13, 1994, Metropolitan Toronto named the regatta course on Long Pond the Allan A. Lamport Regatta Course. Mr. Lamport's 35-year public service career included terms as Alderman and...
The Albany Club of Toronto was established in 1882 as a conservative political club. Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister, strongly encouraged the creation of the club. He joined...
Militia Officer, Businessman, Public Servant, Justice of the Peace, Gay PioneerAlexander Wood came to Canada in 1793, settled in York in 1797 and started a mercantile business, one of only three...
Shortly before the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, this fine 1892 house was purchased by the Board of Governors for the University of Toronto Contingent, Canadian Officers...
Agnes Macphail purchased this property in 1948.She was the first woman elected to Canada's House of Commons in 1921 and won five successive election victories.Agnes Macphail fought for...
About 600 years ago, this was the site of a vibrant village of 800 to 1000 people, ancestors of the Huron-Wendat nation. Though their name for this place is lost, their village was...
This building, named in honour of Susannah Annesley, mother of John Wesley, was built as a residence for women students and officially opened on October 1, 1903. It was designed by George...
The oldest private club building in Ontario, 107 Wellington Street West was designed for the Toronto Club in 1888-89 by Frank Darling and Samuel Curry. Its design mixes different architectural...
School Section #14 was formed in January 1913 to serve the rapidly growing community of Agincourt. Mr. W.H. Paterson donated 1.2 hectares of land and the following year a four room brick building...
Inspired by English cottages, this woman's residence is a fine example of Queen Anne Revival architecture in Canada. A welcoming, home-like setting is conveyed through the harmony of an irregular...
Rawlinson Cartage, one of the oldest express and storage firms in Toronto, had their main shop at 610 Yonge Street and their warehouse on St. Nicholas and St. Joseph Streets. The buildings at 5...
In 1903, responding to public demands for an historical records repository, the Ontario government established a provincial archives under Alexander Fraser, a Toronto editor and historian. As...
The provincial land surveyors, successors to the deputy provincial surveyors of Canada West, were appointed to map the province and mark out townships, roads and lots for settlement. They were...
Nancy Ruth (nee Jackman) - feminist, social and political activist, and philanthropist - lived at 184 Roxborough Drive, the house just east of this entrance to Chorley Park, from 1980 to...