A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

York Post Office


Originally all post offices in Upper Canada were owned by the postmasters in charge, who were imperial appointments. This building was constructed for postmaster James Scott Howard during 1833-1835 and functioned as the town's post office until Howard's dismissal in 1837. A typical example of a small public building of the time, combining public offices with a private residence, it survives as an example of an early Canadian post office. In 1876 it was incorporated in the present block of buildings. The mansard roof is a later addition.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada

Contributed by: @Saskajanet

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps