This residence, opened in 1970, recalls Woodstock College, which became part of McMaster University when this institution was created in 1887.
Woodstock College dates from 1883, bit its roots extend back to 1857 when its predecessor, the Canadian Literary Institute, was founded by Baptists in Woodstock, Canada West (as Ontario was then known). From 1887 to 1926, when it was closed, Woodstock College existed as a private school conducted by the University. The College was co-educational for several years and thereafter a preparatory school for boys, the counterpart of Moulton College, the University’s school for girls.
Submitted by Owen Anderson