Constructed in 1824 as a church, the original log building on this site was the first school in Bucklin (later Dearborn) Township. In 1829 the building became a public school. When John B. Wallace donated the land and building to the school district, the school was named after him. The building burned in 1876, and was replaced by this brick structure. The building was used only intermittently after 1938, and in 1966 the city of Dearborn Heights converted it into a museum.
Plaque via Michigan History Center