Claude Joseph Dubreuil, Jr. purchased what is today known as Vacherie-Gheens from the Oucha and Chaouacha Indians in the 1740's for 12 head of cattle. He named it La Vacherie, meaning cattle ranch. His plan was to furnish New Orleans markets with beef. In 1879, John R. Gheens of Kentucky purchased a portion of the Dubreuil holdings. In 1890, Gheens and his brothers incorporated the Golden Ranch Sugar and Cattle Co. The post office, established on the plantation, was called Gheens.