This sign contains information about the Tiger Company, which "was one of three volunteer fire companies dedicated to protecting Victoria's growing business district during the late 1800s." The sign is near the site of the Tiger Company's Fire Hall, which was part of Victoria's City Hall. Unusually for historical information signs, this one contains a helpful map that shows the area as it was before urban renewal changed the surrounding blocks in the mid-1960s.
For more information, the standard history of Victoria's fire department is Dave Parker's First Water, Tigers! The Victoria Fire Department, 1858-2008, published by the Victoria Fire Department Historical Society in 2008.
Submitted by: Vincent Gornall