THE GEORGE INN
In Elizabethan times Ralph Rokeby Esq.
(d. 1575) Secretary of the Council of the
North lived on a house on this site.
Subsequently for about two and a half
centuries there existed here a Hostelry
know since 1614 as the George Inn,
from which horsedrawn coaches departed
to Hull, Manchester, and Newcastle.
The sisters Charlotte and Anne Bronte
stayed here in 1849.
Leak & Thorp moved to this site in 1869.
Submitted by @