This land served as the local schoolhouse site from 1836 to 1895. The original schoolhouse situated here was built of hewn logs and oak shakes. Stonecrest was constructed as a one-room schoolhouse in 1860. The teacher at Stonecrest in 1868-69 was Joseph B. Moore, who later sat on the Supreme Court of Michigan and was the son of the builder of the school, Jacob J. Moore. Stonecrest is built of native stones, which were broken, faced and laid up in quicklime mortar. The building is situated on the highest point within the original village of Walled Lake as platted by Jesse Tuttle in 1836. It became the home of the Commerce Township Area Historical Society in 1980.
Plaque via Michigan History Center