Began as St. James Mission in 1848. Reorganized as a parish in 1855 named after the first martyr at the suggestion of Bishop Leonidas Polk, the "Fighting Bishop" of the Confederacy. The Church and Cemetery were consecrated by Bishop Polk in 1859. The Church was constructed using hand-made bricks. The stained glass windows were made in England. The Confederate Monument in the Cemetery was erected and dedicated in 1904. Restoration of the Church was completed in 1978. A massive restoration of the Cemetery was completed 1991.