The oldest extant cemetery in New Orleans. Established by Royal Spanish land grant August 14, 1789. Originally outside city limits and double its present size this sacred ground reflects the early culture and history of the Crescent City. A small area in the rear was once part of a larger section for Protestant burials. The Varney tomb to right was once center of cemetery.