This plaque located in a little park on the corner of Swan St and Punt Road, Richmond.
SITE OF RICHMOND CABLE TRAMWAY ENGINE HOUSE
THE BUILDING THAT HOUSED MELBOURNE'S FIRST CABLE TRAMWAY ENGINES
WAS CONSTRUCTED ON THIS STIE IN 1885. WITHIN IT A PAIR OF LARGE
STATIONARY STEAM ENGINES PROPELLED TWO CONTINUOUS WIRE CABLES
BENEATH THE ROADWAY - ONE TO HAWTHORN BRIDGE AND THE OTHER TO
SPENCE STREET STATION. THE BUILDING WAS LATER EXTENDED TO HOUSE
A SUBSTATION FOR THE ELECTRIC TRAMWAY WHICH REPLACED THE PIONEER
RICHMOND CABLE LINE IN 1927. BOTH BUILDINGS DEMOLISHED IN 1991
FOR ROAD INTERSECTION IMPROVEMENTS.
Submitted by: @gregorystorer