'Replica of 1892 Incandescent Gas Lamp
Replica reinstated as part of restoration of historic Nelson Place. Original lamp was one of two improved-style lamps erected in the 1890's. Similar lamps, commemorating the jubilee of Queen Victoria, Coronation of Edward VII and jubilee of Williamstown, were later placed in the centre of major intersections, progressively removed as traffic hazards from the 1920's. Coronation lamp (1902), Dennis Reserve, still survives.
Unveiled by His Worship The Mayor, Councillor Graham McGuire on Saturday, January 28. 1989.'
Submitted by: @IanThorp