Quarantine Station Cemetery 1852 -1854
The original burial place of those who died while in quarantine. Sea erosion over the years caused graves to collapse and storms uncovered the remains. in 1952 the quarantine station staff moved all that was identifiable to Pt. Nepean cemetery. The first burials in this cemetery were of the immigrants of the sailing ship Ticonderoga.
An American registered sailing ship of 1089 tons, 169.8ft, chartered by the British Emigration Commissioners to transport shepherds and farm workers with their families, to replaceworkers in Australia who had deserted for the goldfields. The Ticonderoga sailed from Liverpool on 4 August, 1852, with Captain Boyle, Surgeon Dt J C Sanger, Assistant Surgeon Dr James WH Veirch, 48 crew and 795 immigrants from the Highlands of Scotland, North England, Somerset, Gloucestershire and Ireland. Provisions were plentiful and water was of good quality.
On 3 November, 1852 the Ticonderoga arrived at Port Phillip Heads. During the voyage 100 immigrants died and 19 births were recorded. In quarantine at Pt. Nepean about 400 were seriously ill mainly of typhus fever, a number of births and a further 70 deaths occurred on shore. The official death toll is 168 passengers and 2 crew. The ship was released from quarantine on 22 December 1852, deaths which occurred after this date were not considered as having taken place during the voyage. The number of these deaths is not known because there were not statutory civil records at the time but at least ten further deaths can be reliably inferred from contemporary sources.
The names on this stone were obtained from the Public Records Office. With additional information from Descendants, minor changes were made. Our thanks to the Descendants who helped us fund this Memorial, and to Jack McCrae for research. Friends of the Quarantine Museum 10 November 2002. Nepean Historical Society
Submitted by @Ianthorp