A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Our Lady of Good Help

FROM 1870 TO 1904 THIS WAS THE SITE OF 
OUR LADY OF GOOD HELP 
SEATTLE'S FIRST CATHOLIC CHURCH 

DESIGNED AND BUILT BY SEATTLE'S PIONEER PRIEST, FATHER FRANCIS X. 
PREFONTAINE (1838-1909). THE CHURCH WAS COMPLETED IN 1870 AND WAS THE 
SPIRITUAL HOME OF  PRINCESS ANGELINE, DAUGHTER OF CHIEF SI'AHL (SEATTLE) 
AND OTHER OUTSTANDING FIGURES OF THE EARLY HISTORY OF SEATTLE. 

IN 1904 THE CHURCH WAS MOVED FROM THIS SITE TO THE CORNER OF 5TH AVENUE 
AND JEFFERSON STREET. IT WAS DEMOLISHED AFTER THE 1949 EARTHQUAKE. 

HISTORICAL MARKER PLACED BY ST. JAMES CATHEDRAL, SEATTLE, 2016.

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps