Past this point ran the old Vermilion Trail, from Minnesota Point on the north shore of Lake Superior through eighty miles of unbroken forest to the shores of Lake Vermilion. This wilderness highway was laid out and built in 1865 by white men and Indians under the direction of surveyor George R. Stuntz, a notable pioneer of this region. Originally planned to serve the army of prospectors that for five years journeyed to an unprofitable search for gold at Lake Vermilion, it later furnished access to the genuine wealth of the Vermilion Iron Range.
To identify and perpetuate this historic site this memorial was presented to the city of Duluth by Daughters of Liberty charter D.A.R 1933
Submutted by @s_despiegelaere