In 1882, residents of Grayling built the town’s first church for the Methodist Episcopal congregation that had organized in 1879. In 1918, local lumberman Nels Michelson donated funds to erect a large brick church in honor of his late wife, Margrethe. The old church served as a hospital during the 1918-1919 flu epidemic. After fire destroyed the new brick church in 1923, Michelson donated funds to build this church, which was dedicated in 1925.
Plaque via Michigan History Center