"This beach side property was donated in 1996 to the citizens of Brevard County by Patricia Kosinski in loving memory of her mother, Irene H. Canova. In 1922, as a young widow with her small daughter Patricia, Irene came to Brevard County to marry Carlos Canova, a Brevard County pioneer who homesteaded the 160 acres of wilderness now known as Canova Beach. The Canovas constructed a fishing pier and ran a small business where Patricia began selling sea shells.
After graduating from Melbourne High School and Florida State College for Women, Patricia took over the family business. Here she founded and, for more than 50 years, operated the renowned Patsy's Shell Shop. Her generous donation of the family homestead ensures that the natural beauty of the land she treasured will remain for the enjoyment of Brevard County citizens and visitors."
Transcribed by David L. Vann