The old Grand River Indian Trail, now US-16, became a plank road in 1848. A toll gate and Red Bridge Post Office were located here. Nearby were homes of John Mullett, pioneer surveyor, and John Forster, explorer, north Michigan mine pioneer. Michigan State University, first U. S. land grant college, and Lansing, the capital of Michigan, lie to the west.
Plaque via Michigan History Center