St. Luke's Church, founded 1894 at Idlewild and Union, moved to this location in 1912 where the Right Rev. Thomas F. Gailor, 3rd Bishop of Tennessee, laid the church's cornerstone. Grace Church, founded in 1850 as the first mission church of Calvary Episcopal Church and later merged (1877-78) with Jefferson Davis' parish church, St. Lazarus (now non-existent), was located (1885-1939) at Vance and Lauderdale. On Nov. 24, 1940 the first services of Grace-St. Luke's Episcopal Church were held here, marking the merger of two historic Memphis churches.
Submitted from the Shelby County Register's Office.