A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Germantown Cemetery

Founded by Germantown Methodist Episcopal Church on land bought in 1840 from George P. and Nicey B. Shepherd, early subdividers of the village, this cemetery served the whole community for 125 years. A stone fragment dated 1843 marks the earliest known burial spot. Three Methodist Church buildings have stood on this site; one was destroyed during the Civil War, and one was struck by lightning and burned in 1921.

Submitted from the Shelby County Register's Office.

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps