Foster Mounds consists of two mounds located on either end of a large village or plaza. Mound A was built in four stages during the Plaquemine Period, sometime after AD 1400. Its original size and shape have been modified to accommodate the late 18th-century home located on its summit. Mound B, about 200 yards to the south, was built in at least two stages ca, AD 1500. Artifacts recovered from underneath Mound B indicate that Native Americans lived at this site as early as 500 BC.