This plaque is on the outside wall of the depot, right next to the entrance, at the N.C. & St.L. Depot & Railroad Museum. It reads: DEDICATED TO THOSE DEPARTING FOR SERVICE TO THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. The Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis depot was built in 1907, next to what was Lancaster Park. According to information from the City of Jackson, "Other interests [near the depot] were a zoo, ballpark, swimming hole, lakes and Johnny's popcorn. Two circuses, Ringling Brothers, [and] Haggenback and Wallace, and a carnival, the Royal American show unloaded here and presented their show." The depot was used as a Trailways bus station after the decline of the railroad through the mid-1970s. The City of Jackson purchased the depot in 1994, and it has been restored and converted into a railroad museum. It is free and open to the public.
Submitted by Sylvia M. Rowe