On this site in 1853 Henry Wyckoff built the town's first store to serve travelers and farmers. In 1862 the small wooden building, owned by Franklin S. Freeman, became Yolo's interim courthouse after Woodland became the county seat. The original structure was also home to a church, bakery, saloon, dress shop, and the Din family's Tail Lee Laundry (1925 to 1947). Four Din children were born here.
Joe Scarpa created this marker in 2005 with funds provided by the Stroll Through History Committee as port of the Woodland Art Center Alley Nine Lives Project.
Submitted by Sheila Paske