A native of Ontario County, New York, David Simmons moved to this area around 1827. Here he farmed, eventually acquiring 156 acres of land. He built this Greek Revival house around 1843. It features a fieldstone foundation, hand-hewn timbers and pegged joints. Its interior retains the original triple-facet woodwork with six-sided moldings around the doors and windows of the dining room. Although the house has been enlarged over the years, portions of the 1840s section are still visible.
Plaque via Michigan History Center